Sugar Land renters! It’s necessary to keep in mind the minor home maintenance tasks required to keep your rental home in great condition. By dealing with these tasks frequently, you’ll help avoid costly repairs down the road and maintain a good working relationship with your landlord. This blog post will go over ten small maintenance tasks every renter should complete!
- Change Ceiling Fan Direction. To produce a cold breeze in the summer, your ceiling fan should spin counterclockwise. To force warm air from the ceiling down during the winter, it should turn clockwise. You may improve the efficiency of your HVAC system and lower your utility costs by switching the direction of your ceiling fan twice a year.
- Clean Exhaust Fans. Your bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans play an important role in venting moisture and odors out of your home. To keep them working appropriately, be sure to clean them every month. You can easily do this by taking off the cover and using a vacuum attachment to remove any accumulated dust or debris.
- Caulk Around Bathroom Fixtures. Take a look at the caulking around your bathroom fixtures. It needs to be replaced if it is cracked, peeling, or missing in spots. Cracked or missing caulk can cause mold to grow. But prevention is a quick and easy task that you can do yourself. Simply add new caulk around the base of each fixture with some caulk and a putty knife.
- Clear Drains. Clogged drains are not only an annoyance, but they can also result in water damage. Ensure that you clear your drains every month to prevent this from occurring. You can do this by removing hair clogs, pouring a cup of baking soda down the drain, and then a cup of vinegar. Give it an hour to sit before rinsing with hot water.
- Drain Water Heater. As the water heats up, it expands and can cause sediment to gather in your water heater. This can result in corrosion and lessened efficiency. Make sure to drain your water heater every year to avoid this from occurring. You can achieve this by attaching a garden hose to the drainage valve and draining it into a bucket or floor drain. You can guarantee that you have enough hot water all year round by doing regular water heater maintenance.
- Clean Off Outdoor Air Conditioning Unit. Your outdoor air conditioning unit needs to be free of debris to function correctly. Don’t forget to clean off your unit every month, getting rid of any leaves, dirt, or other stored debris.
- Change HVAC Filters. Your HVAC system’s filters are crucial to keeping your air clean and your home comfortable. Be careful to change them every three months to keep them operating correctly. This is simple to accomplish by getting replacement filters at your local hardware store.
- Clean Blinds and Windows. Dust and dirt may gather on your blinds and windows, making them appear unclean and affecting their ability to function. To maintain their best appearance, be sure to wash them every month. You can do this by dusting with a microfiber cloth or using a vacuum attachment to get rid of any collected dirt or debris.
- Check for Pests. Pests can not only be an annoyance, but they can also cause damage to your home. To prevent this from transpiring, be sure to check for pests every month and take action if you see any. You can do this by visually inspecting your home and looking for any signs of pests such as droppings or nests. If you see any, be sure to contact your Sugar Land property manager. They can then coordinate with professional pest control if necessary.
- Basic Appliance Maintenance. To keep your appliances functioning correctly, performing some basic appliance maintenance is crucial. To achieve this, clean your oven and refrigerator each month. You can also vacuum the coils on your fridge and dust the interior of your oven to prevent Moreover, be sure to run a self-cleaning cycle on your oven once every three months.
Apart from basic maintenance, other things in your rental home may need professional support. For illustration, if you experience electrical issues, water leaks, or other issues, report these to your landlord so that they can assign an experienced service tech to fix them.
Regular maintenance can help prevent costly repairs in the future and keep your landlord satisfied. For all these reasons, make sure to add these tasks to your monthly checklist and cross them off as you go!
Are you trying to find a new rental home? You can find it at Real Property Management Sugarland! Browse our listings online to view our inventory.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.